Thursday, October 1, 2015

Driving While Distracted

I don't usually do this, but I feel a rant coming on, and it's been building for the past several weeks. In my daily commutes to and from my day job, I encounter, on a regular basis, my top five driving pet peeves, and all five of them come down to one thing: driver inattention/distraction.

1. Stopping five car lengths from the car in front of you, prohibiting the car behind you from:

a. pulling into the turn lane (where there is a green light);
b. pulling into the turn lane, so as to avoid having the car's tail-end in traffic; or
c. blocking the intersection.

2. Texting or talking on the phone. I passed a car the other day who was going ten miles an hour below the speed limit. When I passed, I noticed the driver looking, no, STARING, at his smartphone (and wasn't even trying to hide it). It was right there, in his face, at steering wheel level. His passenger? Also deeply engrossed in whatever cat video/puppy photo/Kim Kardashian post was trending that day.

I pulled around in front of him and stopped at a red light, fearfully watching in my rear view mirror as he never looked up from his phone, certain he was going to rear-end me. He finally stopped, just inches from my bumper, without ever looking up from his phone. As I accelerated after the green light, he didn't even bother to look up then. Honestly, I don't know how he made it to his destination without an accident.

3. Applying makeup. Ladies, please don't be one of those women who finish getting dressed in the car. Aside from causing an accident, you could poke your eye out. Seriously. In a previous life, I managed an ophthalmology practice. I can't tell you how many women we saw with corneal abrasions because they were applying (or I should say, attempting to apply) mascara while driving. Apply your makeup at home, in the privacy of your own bathroom. Or wait until you get to the office.

4. Reading. I kid you not. I've seen folks reading their Kindles, a paperback, a magazine, even a newspaper, which, by the way, was spread across their steering wheel like a blanket over a bird cage. Even if it's one of my books and you're at a really juicy part, don't read and drive.

5. Failing to accelerate at a green light. The light turns green and the cars in front tentatively tap the accelerator, barely reaching the speed limit. This has become my biggest pet peeve. You wonder why there is a long line of traffic when there doesn't appear to be any traffic obstruction. I call these people "unintentional drivers," because they drive without intention. They never really reach the speed limit, they're hesitant, distracted, and very, very annoying.

Okay. Rant over. Whew! I feel better now.

What are your biggest driving pet peeves?

No comments:

Post a Comment