Thursday, October 29, 2015

"Bond. James Bond." and Other Iconic Movie Lines

Hubby and I were out at dinner the other night, and we started talking about great movie lines. Being a fan of Gone with the Wind, the first one that came out of my mouth was, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” GWTW has a few iconic lines, like “After all, tomorrow is another day,” and “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.”

The romantic movie, Casablanca, starring Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart, supplied many great one-liners:
  • “Here’s looking at you, kid.” 
  • “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she comes into mine.” 
  • “Round up the usual suspects.” 
  • “We’ll always have Paris.” 
  • "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
The Wizard of Oz delivered as well with lines like:
  • “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”
  • “There’s no place like home.” 
  • “I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!”
You know these lines because so many of them have made their way into our daily lexicon. Here’s a list of a few more that come to mind:
  • “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Vito Corleone, The Godfather
  • “Go ahead, make my day.” – Harry Callahan, Sudden Impact
  • “E.T. phone home.” – E.T., E.T. the Extraterrestrial
  • “May the force be with you.” – Han Solo, Star Wars
  • “I’ll be back.” – The Terminator, The Terminator
  • “Houston, we have a problem.” – Jim Lovell, Apollo 13
Romantic one-liners:
  • “You had me at ‘hello.’” – Dorothy Boyd, Jerry Maguire
  • “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” – Jennifer Barrett, Love Story
  • “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.” – Johnny Castle, Dirty Dancing
Scene stealers:
  • “I’ll have what she’s having.” Customer (Rob Reiner’s mother), When Harry Met Sally
  • “Here’s Johnny!” – Jack Torrance, The Shining
  • “You can’t handle the truth!” – Col. Nathan Jessup, A Few Good Men
What are some of your favorite movie one-liners?

No comments:

Post a Comment