Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Dog Days of Summer

Living in Florida, I have a love/hate relationship with summer. When I was young and carefree, summer was my favorite time of year — running barefoot, swimming, water skiing, sunbathing — I lived in swimsuits and didn’t put on shoes until school started again.

What I'd like to do in the dog days of summer. 
Now, not so much. Now, being the responsible adult that I am, I have to work year round, and work clothes don’t exactly scream easy, breezy summer. You'd think as a Florida native (a rare breed), I'd be accustomed to our summers, but in my more, ahem, mature years, I’ve become less tolerant of the heat. And in the heat and humidity that is North Central Florida, I have perpetually bad hair days.

I tell my husband that our summer is like the North’s winter.  We don’t go out unless we’re partaking of water-related activities, like swimming, skiing, paddleboarding, or kayaking. In the winter in the North, you don’t go out unless you’re partaking in snow and ice activities like snow skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, or sledding. While the North is freezing off important body parts, we are barbecuing, walking around in short sleeves, and just generally enjoying the great outdoors. It’s a trade-off.

Summer isn’t all bad. Living in a university town, I love summer because about 40% of our population leaves town. It makes for pleasant commutes, no waiting for tables in restaurants, and no lines in the movie theatres. You can shop in Target and Bed Bath, and Beyond without fighting over bath towels and Tervis tumblers, and Ann Taylor doesn’t sell out of your size the first day an item is in stock.

But all good things must come to an end. The students have returned, Target is filled with dorm supplies, my commute is now twice as long, and forget about grabbing a quick lunch.  

Too bad the heat and humidity hasn’t come to an end. That won’t happen until sometime in October. And if we’re lucky we’ll feel the first hints of fall around the middle of November.


Which season do you have a love/hate relationship with? Summer or Winter? 

No comments:

Post a Comment