Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Dose of Fashion



So, two Thursdays ago I took the day off from blogging because Hubby and I were busy with a fundraising event. In addition to my day job, and my writing, Hubby and I have a non-profit foundation that raises money for cancer patient support programs. And this post is all about that event, which we called A Dose of Fashion.

There is a woman in our community who puts on historical fashion shows and she tailors them (no pun intended) to your subject matter. In the case of our fundraiser, she developed a show about fashion, history, medicine and women, from the 15th century through the 1960's. And here's the really fun part for me -- I was given the opportunity to model in the show, and I had an absolute blast!

About six weeks before the show I went to her home where she has an enormous room filled with costumes from every era you can imagine, from the Middle Ages, up to present day, and many of them vintage. And the hats! Oh, the hats! Then there were the accoutrements -- gloves and parasols, jewelry and shoes, handbags and undergarments. In a constantly dehumidified room I tried on a Victorian half-mourning gown, complete with vintage hat, parasol, and gloves. Then there was the fabulous Roaring 20's ensemble, the coat and cloche hat also vintage. Finally, I slipped on a vintage wool suit trimmed with a chinchilla collar that fit like it was made for me. I tried on a few more gowns just for fun.

What a day! Like playing dress up when I was a little girl. 

The fashion show included high tea, a table decorating contest, and dozens of beautiful costumes. All very girlie. I've included photos of me in my three costumes below, but you can see more photos at our Facebook page.




And best of all, we raised a good deal of money to support oncofertility programs for cancer patients.

Did you love to play dress-up as a little girl? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment