Thursday, July 2, 2015

Top 5 Favorite Modern Romantic Comedies

Last month I wrote about my top five most romantic real couples, fictional couples, and movies. Today, I thought I'd talk about my top five favorite modern romantic comedies. So what makes a romantic comedy one of my favorites you ask? Romcons that I can watch over and over and always sigh with pleasure at the end.

The Proposal (2009) - Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds (cu-tie pie!) turn up the heat and the
comic relief in this story about a pushy boss (Sandra Bullock) who essentially forces her assistant (Ryan Reynolds -- did I mention, yum?) to marry her so that she can keep her job with an American publishing house. In the spirit of famous comedic couples like Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, Bullock and Reynolds on-screen chemistry is charming and oh, so sexy. Especially that last kiss -- made my Hollywood's Hottest Kisses list.






Love Actually (2003) - This movie, with it's all-star cast, follows the stories of eight couples/friends during the course of the Christmas holidays. I love these sweet, sad, and silly vignettes, and who doesn't love Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson and Colin Firth (again, yum!)?  The movie is on my list of must-see holiday movies, along with other holiday favorites like It's a Wonderful Life.









Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) - Another Hugh Grant film, which follows the stories of
Charles and Carrie (played by Andie MacDowell) who repeatedly bump into one another at four weddings (one of which is Carrie's) and a funeral. I'm fond of British humor, especially when it involves Hugh Grant, and this delightful film didn't disappoint.










Sweet Home Alabama (2002) - Starring Reese Witherspoon (Melanie) and Josh Dempsey (Jake) as an estranged married couple. When Melanie gets engaged, she has to convince Jake to sign the divorce papers before her fiance (Patrick Dempsey -- so many yums!) finds out she's still married. This sweet, light-hearted romance leaves me sighing wistfully every time. And that kiss on the beach! Well, it made my Hollywood's Hottest Kisses list. Need I say more?









Pretty Woman (1990) - Julie Roberts and Richard Gere -- could there be any two more beautiful
people? Sort of Pygmalion meets Rapunzel (referred to in the movie), the RomCon explores the relationship between a high-powered corporate raider (Edward) and a reluctant hooker (Vivian). In the end, Vivian holds out for "more" than being someone's mistress, and gets her fairytale when Edward realizes he can't live without her. Le sigh.

So, what Romcons make your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment