Thursday, July 16, 2015

RWA Style 2015



The National Conference of the Romance Writers of America (RWA) is less than a week away and this year it's in the Big Apple. What is RWA, you ask? It's the once-a-year extravaganza where over 2000 aspiring, newbie, and best-selling authors (mostly women, but not all) converge on a conference center to learn, share, talk, rub elbows with, and generally immerse themselves in all things romance. Think of it as Comic-Con for romance authors.

It's really quite extraordinary to see 2000 people in one place, all devoted to the romance genre and all it's sub-genres. There's something for everyone! It's also exciting to see your favorite authors up-close-and personal. The tried and true greats from Nora Roberts and Jude Devereaux, to the latest phenoms like Kristan Higgins and Julie James are all under one roof. The week culminates in the Golden Heart Award (unpublished works) and the RITA's (published works), the Oscars of the romance world. I have to admit I go a little crazy fan-girl when I see Nora.

For the last couple of years, I've blogged about my preparations for the Big Event, and by preparations I mean wardrobe, of course! It's important to look your best, because you never know who you might meet, but it's also equally important to be comfortable. The week involves long days, lots of walking, and Arctic conference rooms. I contend that you don't have to wear a suit and heels to look polished and pulled together. Smart combinations, stylish but comfortable shoes, and some well-chosen accessories create a look that says, I'm professional, fashionable, and confident, and can earn you styles points.

I have such fun putting together my wardrobe! What can I say? I'm a clothing junkie.

I've learned over the years that building a wardrobe around one or two colors helps cut down on the number of accessories, like shoes and handbags, because you can mix and match. And if you wear one of the pairs of shoes on the plane, that's one less pair you have to pack.

So, here are my wardrobe choices for this year's RWA.

For the flight, I've chosen a pair of comfortable leggings and a tunic sweater. I get cold on airplanes and in airports, so I like something with a sleeve. I'm wearing black ballets (easy on and off at security), and I'll also wear them at the conference with another outfit or two.

For two of the conference days, I've chosen skinny jeans that can be dressed up or down. Pairing
them with a structured jacket or a cardigan really pulls the look together. Add a pair of ballets, and you've got a comfortable, but fashionable outfit. Sweaters and jackets are a must for conferences. I don't know about you, but when I'm cold, I can't concentrate. It's also a good idea to throw a pashmina in your conference bag. More on the conference bag below. (And, no, I'm not pregnant. My bed pillows just make my outfits look like an ad for Pea in a Pod.)

Bring along a couple of dressy T-shirts, and those jeans become something a little more casual. The T-shirts also make a great choice for the flight home.

On one particular day, I have special evening plans, so I'm bringing ivory and black skinny pants, along with a breezy black top. I'll add a bold necklace to the outfit to up the chic factor. During the day I'll be wearing those black ballets. But in the evening I'll slip into a pair of black patten platform pumps and add a small handbag in teal to add a pop of color.

The Awards Ceremony (aka The Big Night), every guy and gal puts on their best. Everything from evening dresses to little black dresses, and everything in between. Whatever makes you feel special. This year I'm going with a pair of champagne silk dupioni skinny pants with a champagne and black blouse. Black strappy sandals and a turquoise handbag complete the ensemble.

Don't forget to bring or carry a handy-dandy tote bag for carrying all that swag and the free books you pick up. Select something that looks polished, but has great organization pockets. When someone asks for your card, you don't want to scrounge around for ten minutes looking for one. Have them handy.

On the subject of swag, bring plenty of business cards, bookmarks, pens, lip balm, whatever you have  with your brand front and center. You don't want to miss an opportunity to introduce someone to what you write.

Last but not least, have fun. Remember why we all go to RWA – to get out of our writers' caves, meet other like-minded people, and have a little fun. And what better place to have a little fun than the Big Apple.

What did I miss? What do you think are conference essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment